Please read prior to attending an online Mindfulness session
Mindfulness sessions should not be approached with the intention of achieving a “quick fix”, or as purely a relaxation classe or therapy session. Mindfulness mediation sessions focus on encouraging you to notice more about what’s around you externally as well as what’s going on internally in your body and mind.
Is it the right time for me to practice mindfulness?
It is not unusual for people to seek out mindfulness sessions during periods of change and/or difficulty and there are times when attending a group mindfulness course might not be beneficial.
If any of the following are applicable to you then we will need to have a conversation prior to you joining in a session.
- Early recovery period from addiction
- Untreated psychosis
- Acute depression,
- Suicidal feelings
- Social anxiety
The circumstances or conditions listed above do not necessarily rule out the possibility of attending a session. ‘Suitability’ is very much influenced by;
- The state of your current psychological health
- The extent to which you have explored areas of particular difficulty
- The support networks you have around you – friends, family, GP and/or mental health professionals
We would ask that if any of these apply that you make us aware of them before you attend a session. If you are currently receiving treatment for an ongoing mental health problem we advise that you discuss suitability for attending the online classes with your mental health professional before booking.
Please contact us to discuss any questions or concerns you may have regarding the onoine sesisons and ‘suitability’. We are happy to discuss your particular circumstances and how you may best be supported. There are alternatives that can be offered including working 1:1 with you.
Some helpful tips
Mindfulness is the cultivation of present moment awareness. and the sessions will focus on developing stability of attention through some short and hopefully enjoyable activities and meditations.
So as to ensure the best learning environment for yourselves and others we request that you
- Treat sessions as you would a face to face event, being there in person with your camera function enabled.(recordings will not be made)
- Limit distractions as best you can by ensuring that
- mobiles are on airplane mode and out of sight
- other applications are closed/notifications deactivated so that you will not be interrupted by emails etc.
- colleagues and/or family are aware that you are in a live online session, so maybe put a note on the door to remind people not to disturb you.
A few more helpful tips
- Please sit where you will be comfortable, ideally where your back can be straight, on a chair is probably best but you can be on the floor if you prefer.
- We encourage you to get to the session 5 minutes early (5 minutes late and you won’t be admitted). Maybe have a glass of water or cup of tea/coffee to help you settle in and feel at home.
- You might consider using headphones if you have them as they will help limit distractions in your own environment and improve sound quality
- It’s a good idea to have your device plugged into the mains as Zoom calls tend to use a lot of battery.
About using Zoom
These sessions will he delivered via Zoom and full instructions will be provided on how to join each session.
Your confirmation of booking email will include a link to access the session.
If you’ve not used Zoom before then you might find it useful to follow the link below to view a 1 minute guidance video ‘Join a Meeting’ on how to use Zoom https://zoom.us/resources
We’ve been surprised by how easily both we and others have adapted to Zoom, if you do experience any technical difficulties though, Zoom also offer a troubleshootingpage. https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/sections/200305593-Troubleshooting
We will not however be able to respond to requests for help in finding the meeting link/accessing the meeting room after the start of any designated session. If you do not receive the Eventbrite email at the time of booking please message Susan on 07799 892900.